The purpose of the program is to train coaches and mentors to apply the concepts and methodology of the world famous social worker and therapist, Virginia Satir, to the field of coaching and mentoring. The training is based on the six phases of her work as identified by Sharon Loeschen. They are: Making Contact, Validating, Facilitating Awareness, Promoting Acceptance, Eliciting Positive Choices and Constructive Change. These are what make this type of coaching and mentoring so UNIQUE, POWERFUL and EFFECTIVE. There are five levels to the training and an applicant will enter at the level appropriate for their experience.
Level 1—Enriching Your Relationship with Your Self and Others: A Personal Growth Program
1) Sign a Memo of Understanding with Satir Global.
2) Complete 12 individual lessons or 4 days of group training, in sets of two days at a time. Lessons include:
Lesson 1. Making Contact
Lesson 2. Validating
Lesson 3. Becoming Aware
Lesson 4. Opening to Greater Acceptance
Lesson 5. Making Changes
Lesson 6. Seeking Support for Making Changes
Lesson 7. Deepening Connections with One’s Self
Lesson 8. Deepening One’s Sense of Value
Lesson 9. Deepening Awareness of One’s Defensive Behaviors
Lesson 10. Opening to Greater Acceptance of One’s Disliked Parts
Lesson 11. Making Changes
Lesson 12. Integrating the Skills
3) Purchase the book, Enriching Your Relationship with Yourself and Others at satirglobal.org.
Level 2—Satir’s Theoretical Concepts and Satir’s Process
1) Sign a Memo of Understanding with Satir Global. (When entering the program at Level 2)
2) Complete 8 individual lessons online or in-person or 4 days of group training.
Lesson 1. The Use of Self
Lesson 2. A Growth Mindset
Lesson 3. Families as Systems
Lesson 4. Individuals as Systems
Lesson 5. The Self-Mandala and the Iceberg
Lesson 6. Healthy Communication
Lesson 7. A Process Mindset
Lesson 8. Research in the Elements of the Program That are Evidence-Based
3) Purchase the books, Making Contact, Meditations and The Satir Process at satirglobal.org.
4) Pass a test, either written or oral, over the material covered in Level 2.
Level 3—Satir Coaching and Mentoring Specialist Training
1) Complete Levels 1 and 2 or their equivalents successfully.
2) Be recommended by a certified trainer.
3) Sign a Memo of Understanding with Satir Global.
4) Complete 20 individual sessions or 4 days group training.
Lesson 1. Introduction to Satir Coaching and Mentoring Training for Individuals
Lesson2. Making Contact with Yourself
Lesson 3. Making Contact with a Mentee
Lesson 4. Validating Yourself by Using Your Inner Resources
Lesson 5. Validating Yourself by Affirming Your Values
Lesson 6. Validating Mentees Affirming Their Values & Highlighting Resources
Lesson 7. Validating Your Self by Acknowledging Your Feelings
Lesson 8. Validating Mentees by Reflecting Their Feelings
Lesson 9. Becoming Aware of Your Defensive Behaviors
Lesson 10. Facilitating Awareness in a Mentee of Their Defensive Behaviors
Lesson 11. Becoming Aware of What Drives Your Defensive Behaviors
Lesson 12. Facilitating Mentee’s Awareness of What is Driving Their Defensive Behavior
Lesson 13. Accepting Your Disliked Parts
Lesson 14. Promoting Acceptance in a Mentee of Their Disliked Parts
Lesson 15. Making Changes for Yourself
Lesson 16. Reinforcing Change for Yourself by Seeking Support
Lesson 17. Eliciting Changes for Mentees and Reinforcing the Changes
Lesson 18. Eliciting Change by Helping Mentees Live by Their Values
Lesson 19. Integrating the Six Phases in a Helping
Lesson 20. Reviewing Your Growth and Assessing Readiness for Certification
5) Purchase the book, Your Personal Workbook for Enriching Your Life.
6) Successfully complete a practicum working with three individuals or one process group.
7) Be approved for certification.
8) Become a member of The Virginia Satir Global Network and pay a certification fee.
Level 4—Satir Coaching and Mentoring Trainer Training
1) Be certified as a Satir Coach and Mentor and recommended for trainer training.
3) Buy the Satir Coaching and Mentoring Trainer’s Manual which can be ordered through the office at email@example.com.
4) Train at least 3 persons wanting to be coaches using the twenty lessons in Level 3 Part 1 or the group exercises in Level 3 Part 2 of the Trainer’s Manual.
5) Plan each training session and review the plans with your assigned trainer.
6) Receive feedback from your trainees regarding your skills as a trainer and review with your trainer. (Feedback forms are in the appendix of the Trainer’s Manual.)
7) When leading group trainings, video yourself, if possible, and review with your trainer.
8) Write a reflection on your strengths and areas of growth and discuss with your trainer.
9) Review your readiness for certification and complete any additional assignment.
11) Receive a recommendation for certification as a trainer.
Level 5—Satir Coaching and Mentoring Master-Trainer Training
1)Be recommended to be in the master-trainer training.
2) Train 3 individuals or 2 groups of persons training to be trainers.
3) Prepare for training trainers and review plans with the assigned master-trainer.
4) Receive feedback from trainees and share with the master-trainer.
5) Write a self-evaluation and discuss with master-trainer.
6) Contribute to the ongoing development of the program.
7)Receive a recommendation to be certified as a master-trainer.
Click on the button below and fill out the form. After your information is received, you will be contacted by a trainer who will go over your application and answer any questions you may have, as well as determine your readiness for the program. If ready, the fee for the training will be established with your trainer. You will then receive two contracts to sign, one agreeing to the training fee and the second releasing the Virginia Satir Global Network of liability. Once those are signed and returned, your training will begin!